Tuesday, June 10, 2014

stickin' to your guns...

I don't normally write about things like this but tonight my heart is feeling a little torn.  A little sad.  A little frustrated.  Being a parent is hard.  I mean, it is, without a doubt, the most rewarding job in the world, but it's hard.  Especially when you ACTUALLY stick to your guns.  This evening dinner was even less fun than it normally is in our house.  You see, we have a 4 year old who doesn't care to eat.  We have to constantly remind him "take another bite", "stop talking and eat your food", "pleaseeeeeee just finish your dinner"...and the list goes on and on.  It's so draining.  EVERY.  SINGLE.  NIGHT.  Tonight we made the threat "if you don't finish your green beans, you're going straight to bed".  I'll spare you all the details, but it was 6:53 when he started crying and said "I want to go to bed now."  All because he didn't want to eat his green beans?!?!  The same green beans he's eaten like twice in the last week.  I don't get it.  I'm at a loss.  My heart hurts and I've been quiet for the last hour and a half because I don't know what to say.  Did we do the right thing?  Did we make the right choice?  I mean, I don't want him to think he can get out of dinner every night by saying he just wants to go to bed.  But most of all, I just want to go up and love on him.  I did once, already.  As soon as I walked in his room, he said "Mom, I'm sorry.  I'm soooo sorry."  I had to hold back the tears as I said "I know you are.  I'm sorry too buddy.  I don't like that you have to go to bed so early tonight."  Stickin' to your guns is hard.  It's hard on the heart.  Especially when you are a mom.  Anybody out there have kiddos like this?  What's your advice/experience been?

On another note...we spent all day Saturday out in the country.  My dad had a project he needed help with.  And since we owe him {and my mom} pretty big time for all of their help in the last year {and countless more before that} we went to help!  Actually, Kass, Cody and Papa did all the work.  We {ladies} pretty much chilled for the day while the kiddos entertained themselves in the kiddie pool and sandbox.  We enjoyed a nice dinner, most of which came from Nana's garden, and then hit the road back home with both kids fast asleep as we pulled in the drive.  Huge success in my books!    
















  

Better go now and get some rest.  I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain 4 year old will be up before his "it's okay to wake alarm clock" lights up in the morning.  Thank goodness it's summer and we have no place to be!

1 comment:

  1. My kid wont eat either...boo. How do you like the "okay to wake" clock?

    ReplyDelete