Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Going, going...gone!

Not only is this one of the cutest things that comes out of my lil' boys mouth these days but it's true of our last week. We've been going like crazy. It's been fun. Real fun. Exhausting fun though. You know how it is when you're on the road with a child...it's double, maybe triple the work. I'm so glad to be back home. To our normal. Before I continue to tell you about our recent trips to Colorado and Missouri (all in a weeks time), let me explain the title of this post. One of Kaden's favorite books is Freight Train by Donald Crews. The last three words in the book are...wait, you guessed it - going, going...gone. In his cute lil' southern Texas accent, he finishes the book every time with, "gone". I love it! Since I am working on this post soon after putting him to bed, it's fresh on my mind and totally appropriate of our adventures lately.

Colorado. I already miss so much about you and it's only been a week. I miss watching Kaden interact with the friends he knows so little about - only because we live so far away - but that hold a huge place in his mama's heart. One in particular. Brady. I was there the day this little guy - well, he's not so little anymore - was born so he will forever be special to me. If there's one thing you should know about Brady, it's that he loves to play his guitar. It's so much a part of his life that it's practically an additional member of the Vogt family. He loves to rock out to Today is the Day. So so so cute. Since leaving Colorado, the song goes through my head a least once a day. For that I am thankful.

He also loves to make believe. Nothing wrong with that. One afternoon, I watched him pretend to carry on a conversation with the person on the other end of this phone.

Oh and one last thing about Brady. He likes doing all of this - playing his guitar and make believing - in front of the mirror. I find it pretty cute that he likes watching himself in action.

And then there's sweet little Addison (Brady's little sister). She gave me baby fever BUT - and that's a huge BUT - she also helped me get my fix...for now. I thoroughly enjoyed having her nap on me. Loved watching her coo and smile at her daddy. And just be perfectly content in her swing. Ahhh...those were the days.

We all enjoyed a sunny Sunday afternoon at the park. The boys were past ready to get out of the house. Which meant, the mamas were too. They had so much fun running wild and free. Boys. Why do they always have so much energy?

Valentine's Day was extra special since we just so happened to be in Colorado. Kaden and Brady got to help Amy make cupcakes which we all enjoyed later. Yummy! Meanwhile, I cuddled with Addison. Such a delight! Never would I have thought to let the boys help out in the kitchen but they really enjoyed it. I don't think I have the patience. Kaden only tried to stick his foot in the batter...um, twice and then tried to get a scoop with his hand.

Kass and I enjoyed an adult only evening out with the Vogt's on Tuesday. After the crazy Valentine's Day crowds. Perfect idea. It was so relaxing to hang out - without the kiddos - as we once did. We have so many memories from those days. It was fun to go back in time. Even if it was only for an evening.

So yes, we miss Colorado. All of us. What's not to miss about waking up to the beautiful mountains. Enjoying a cup of morning coffee with a much missed girl friend. And watching the kiddos play.

Wow...that took longer than I expected. So, I'll save our Missouri trip for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment